With a spare 5mins on my hands, I thought I’d replace the taps on the bathroom basin. Took me 15mins finding the stopcock, which should have told me there and then this was not going to be such a quick job after all. Then got an adjustable spanner and removed the old taps fairly quickly – well done, Adam, I was thinking in fine self-congratulatory manner. Got out the shiny new taps, only to find they didn’t fit. Argggh! Who knew that bath taps took 22mm supply pipes whereas basin taps took 15mm! Madness. Oh well, I thought, I’ll just swap the taps at B&Q the next day.
Meanwhile, the missus was agitating about having the water back on, so I decided to put the old taps back on the basin. Duly did so, reconnected the water and promptly flooded the bathroom. Double argggh! The joints on the old taps were… old! And had lost their seal. After 20mins of swearing, I tightened the joints to b*ggery so that we could at least use the loo without causing a tsunami.
Never mind, I thought, I’ll put that second coat of paint on the ceiling. Went to the garage only to find the paint had ‘gone off’ in the cold. It was ‘sheen’ rather than ’emulsion’ for the reference of the tediously knowledgeable amongst you.
So I gave up on the DIY having wasted most of the day. Will now drink beer. Thus it is explained why I am better suited to being an author of fantasy than a sodding handyman.