- Star Trek Beyond is visually impressive but doesn’t give us anything we haven’t already seen in other ST movies.
- It feels like an overly long TV episode rather than a proper movie. Why? Because the story is a scenario (we’re marooned on a moon and have to find a way off) rather than an actual plot.
- There is some nice humour, but sometimes the humour is soooo tired (especially between Spock and Bones, when it’s like they’ve lifted lines from the original ST series).
- There are serious holes in the storyline, which makes it all a bit of a frustrating watch. For example, the level of technology the baddie has is so high that he really shouldn’t have any need to try and get hold of the ancient weapon of Antioch. Our heroes are bimbling thru the forest and then come to a cave which shows evidence that the weapon originated there – very convenient or just WTF? Cos the cave really doesn’t then reveal anything else. The viewer is like…eh? So?
- The message of the film seems to be lifted straight from an Obama speech: ‘We’re stronger together.’ And they bang on and on about unity until you’re screaming at the screen for them just to shut up and die.
- The title theme to the movie is ‘I hit a wall’. I know how the scriptwriters felt.
- Although there are enjoyable moments in the movie, I really can’t justify giving it more than 6 out of 10. Do better next time, please.