The Brits love a festival it would seem. Hardly a month goes past without another one being spawned. Here’s a better list than you’ll find most places for UK scifi, fantasy and horror conventions and festivals.
- For The Love Of Sci-Fi, 2-3 Dec 2023, Manchester: TV and film, props, cosplay and guests, http://fortheloveofsci-fi.com/
- Novacon 52, 10-12 Nov 2023, Buxton: the UK’s longest-established regional science fiction convention, held every autumn since 1971; has a definite focus on scifi literature rather than anything else, https://novacon.uk/.
- Whitby Goth Weekend, 27-29 Oct 2023: it all goes on in Whitby. Why? Cos that’s where Bram Stoker wrote Dracula, where much of the novel is set, and where the dark lord arrived in the UK to boot, http://www.whitbygothweekend.co.uk/
- World Fantasy Convention, 26-29 Oct 2023, Kansas City: http://www.worldfantasy.org/
- Irish Discworld Convention, 20-23 Oct 2023, Cork: all things Pratchett, https://2023.idwcon.org/.
- OctoCon, tbc Oct 2023, Dublin: the national Irish sci-fi convention, https://2023.octocon.com/.
- Comic Con Scotland, 7-8 Oct 2023, Edinburgh: a very large event indeed, with plenty of geek culture and cosplay. https://www.comicconventionscotland.co.uk/
- The Lakes International Comic Art Festival, 29 Sept-1 Oct 2023, Bowness-on-Windermere: a festival for comicbook art, basically, http://www.comicartfestival.com
- Nor-Con, 23-24 Sept 2023, Norwich: scifi convention for Star Wars, Batman, Doctor Who, Star Trek and so on, http://www.nor-con.co.uk/
- FantasyCon, 15-17 Sept 2023, Birmingham: UK national fantasy convention, run by the British Fantasy Society, https://www.hwsevents.co.uk/shop-2.
- Sci Fi Day, 9 Sept 2023, Lyneham, near Swindon: The Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (REME) Museum is hosting a cool sci-fi day with a focus on technologically-enhanced monsters (e.g. the Daleks, etc), https://www.rememuseum.org.uk/Event/sci-fi-day-23.
- Dragon Con, 31 Aug-4 Sept 2023, Atlanta, USA: pretty much the world’s biggest fantasy and scifi convention, http://www.dragoncon.org/
- Tolkien Oxonmoot, 31 Aug-3 Sept 2023, Oxford: run by The Tolkien Society, for fans, scholars and students, https://www.tolkiensociety.org/events/oxonmoot-2023/.
- The Asylum, 25-28 Aug 2023, Lincoln: the world’s largest and longest running STEAMPUNK festival, https://www.ministryofsteampunk.com/weekend-at-the-asylum-lincoln.
- Stars of Time Comic Con, 19-20 Aug, Weston-super-Mare: the South West’s premier scifi and entertainment show, http://www.starsoftime.co.uk/
- Destination Trek UK, 18-20 Aug 2023, Birmingham: all things Star Trek! https://trekmissionuk.com/.
- Worldcon 81, 16-20 Aug 2023, Chengdu, China: world science fiction convention, http://www.worldcon.org/
- TF Nation, 11-13 Aug 2023, Birmingham: dedicated to the Transformers franchise, with cosplay and special guests, https://tfnation.com/2023.
- Film and Comic Con Glasgow, 22-23 July 2023, Glasgow: http://filmandcomicconglasgow.com/
- Fantasy Forest, 14-16 July 2023, Cheltenham: a festival of everything fantasy, including cosplay and steampunk, all set in the gorgeous grounds of Sudeley Castle and Gardens, https://fantasyforest.co.uk/
- London Film and Comic Con, 7-9 July 2023: with guests from scifi/fantasy movies and TV series, http://www.londonfilmandcomiccon.com/
- EM-Con Nottingham, 10-11 June 2023, Nottingham: the East Midlands scifi and fantasy convention: the focus is mainly TV and film, mind you, http://www.em-con.co.uk/
- Konflikt: Eurocon 2023, 8-11 June 2023, Sweden: the annual all-Europe science fiction convention which has been running over 20yrs, https://eurocon2023.se/.
- Cymera, 2-4 June 2023, Edinburgh: Scotland’s festival of science fiction, fantasy and horror writing, https://www.cymerafestival.co.uk/.
- Utopia 2023, 2-4 June 2023, Milton Keynes: Doctor Who convention, https://www.fantomevents.co.uk/utopia2023/.
- Satellite 8, 26-28 May 2023, Glasgow: scifi convention with a ‘hard’ scientific focus, https://eight.satellitex.org.uk/.
- MCM London Comic Con, 26-28 May 2023: one of the biggest comic cons, https://www.mcmcomiccon.com/.
- HorrorCon UK, 20-21 May 2023, Sheffield: with guests and vendors, https://www.horrorconuk.com/
- Wales Comic Con, 13-14 May 2023, Wrexham: https://www.walescomiccon.com/
- Stoke CON Trent, 23 Apr 2023: guests from scifi tv series, including Doctor Who, https://www.facebook.com/StokeCONTrent/
- Eastercon – Conversation, 7-10 April 2023, Birmingham: the UK’s national sci-fi convention, https://www.conversation2023.org.uk/2022/04/17/conversation-is-the-2023-eastercon/
- Sci Fi Weekender (SFW), 14 Mar 2023, Great Yarmouth: http://www.scifiweekender.com/
- Devon Comic Con & Gaming Festival, 11-12 Mar 2023: https://westpointexeter.co.uk/whats-on/devon-comic-con-and-gaming-festival-2/.
- Valiant 2023, 11 March 2023, Sheffield: Doctor Who convention, https://www.fantomevents.co.uk/2022-valiant/
- FrightFest, 10-11 March 2023, Glasgow: horror film festival basically, FrightFest
- Redemption ’23, 24-26 Feb 2023, Sheffield: multimedia sci-fi convention, https://redemptioncon.org.uk.
- SF Ball 27, 17-19 Feb 2023, Southampton: proper big scifi event, albeit mainly TV and film, etc. https://scifiball.com/whats-on.
- Gallifrey One, 17-19 Feb 2023, Los Angeles(!): the world’s biggest and longest running Doctor Who convention, http://www.gallifreyone.com/.
- London Anime & Gaming Convention, 10-12 Feb 2023: lot of Japanese cosplay and so forth, http://winter.londonanimecon.com/
- Dragonmeet, 3 Dec 2022, London: UK’s biggest fantasy gaming convention, http://www.dragonmeet.co.uk/
- BristolCon, 29 Oct 2022, Bristol: a one-day convention organized by the Bristol Fantasy and SF Society, http://www.bristolcon.org/ (NEW site in development)
- GRIMMFEST, 6-9 Oct 2022, Manchester: film festival which has been showing horror, cult, fantastical and scifi movies since 2009, http://grimmfest.com/
- FantastiCon, 20-21 Aug 2022, Cleethorpes: SF/Gaming/VR/RPG/Authors/Readings/Cosplay/Stage shows/Live Music/Holographic tech… they’ve got it all, http://fantasticon.co.uk/.
- TitanCon, 5-7 Aug 2022, Belfast: scifi and fantasy literature and TV, with a Game of Thrones focus recently, http://www.titancon.com/
- ChillerCon UK, 26-29 May 2022, Scarborough: horror festival previously known as StokerCon UK, https://chillercon-uk.com.
- CovCon – Coventry Comic Con, 7 May 2022: comics, cosplay, TV&film, gaming and merchandise, Home of Covcon – the friendly, fun and inclusive convention!
- Comic Con World, 7-8 May 2022, Blackpool Winter Gardens: with cosplay, proper commercial backers and TV and film franchises, http://www.comicconworld.co.uk/ – sadly, now seems defunct
- Dimension Jump XXI, 10-12 Sept 2021, Nottingham: official Red Dwarf convention, http://www.dimensionjump.info/ – next convention yet to be announced
- Capital Sci-Fi Con, 13 Mar 2021, online: cosplay and scifi culture, http://www.capitalscificon.co.uk/ now seems defunct
- J-Con, 26 Sept 2020, Derby: the largest cosplay convention in the East Midlands, running for ever ten years, http://www.j-con.co.uk/ – now DEFUNCT
- LarpCon, 28 Feb-1 Mar 2020, Leicester: the UK’s biggest ‘Live Action Role Playing’ convention, http://larpcon.co.uk/ – now seems defunct
- OzConUK, 10-11 Aug 2019, Oswestry, Shropshire: cosplay, trader stalls, DC and Marvel, http://www.ozconuk.com/… now seems defunct?
- Festival Number 6, 6-9 Sept 2018, Portmeirion: a music, arts and culture festival in the home of The Prisoner, surely one of the coolest and most surreal of festivals, http://www.festivalnumber6.com/… now a DEFUNCT convention, apparently!
- Scifi Wales, 1 Sept 2018, Llandudno: mainly a tv and film focus, http://www.scifiwales.uk/ … now seems to be DEFUNCT.
- Nine Worlds, 10-12 Aug 2018, London: gaming, film, cosplay, fandom, literature, science and geek culture, http://nineworlds.co.uk/… now a DEFUNCT convention, apparently!
If you run or know of a convention you’d like included in the above list, just give me a shout.
Pingback: UK conventions and festivals « Metaphysical Fantasy
Hello! Sorry to be a pain, but BristolCon is organised by the Bristol Fantasy and SF society, not the British one. We don’t like to give ourselves airs down in the West Country!
Thanks, hierath. Now amended. No offence. Keep your ‘airs’ on. Poor joke, sorry, too much caffeine. Adam
Hehehe, cheers for that!
Longest running convention in the South West.
Pingback: My convention fear | J E Nice
Hi! Could you update your entry for BristolCon? The 2013 event takes place on 26th October at the DoubleTree, Bristol City Centre. Many thanks.
A convention in swansea, well just outside
just heard about it
Wow an up to date list 😀 this is what I like to see.
I’m Sam, captain of StarBase Leicester, and every year we get together with a local cinema called Phoenix Square to run ScifiFest. A movie festival perfect for geeks! with a quiz, gaming, book launch, and even a nerf shooting gallery and a 3d printing display with a chance to print stuff!
this is the event May 10th, wish I’d found you sooner… Keep up the good work
Hello, Scardiff will be hosting their 2nd horror convention at Cardiff masonic hall in October.http://scardiff.co.uk/.
A slightly eclectic convention in Cambridge is happening in a few days’ time including some fantasy writing and storytelling, might just be worth adding it:
One off event on the 25th October…
Greenwich Time Symposium: Objects in Time
A day of enquiry, tinkering and questioning, examining the facts and fiction behind everyday objects.
With panel discussion, talk on writing by sci-fi novelist Robert Adam, and you can get involved in a clockwork workshop with steampunk artist Jemma Hewitt.
£15 / £10 members and concessions
Hiya I was wondering if you would add Whitby Sci Fi & Comic Con to your list. It is on the 28th of November 2015 at Whitby pavilion and will be bringing tables, signers, photo opps and a great environment for costumers of all levels to get together. It’s going to be a fun day raising money for a great cause, early detection of cancer.
Hi was wondering if you could add our event to your list for 2016, its INVICTACON and takes place on the 7th August 2016 at the Bridgewood Manor Hotel, Rochester Kent. We will have traders, signers and gaming tables as well as props and displays
Pingback: Study Distractions? No! Just Arts Festivals And Horror Movies Under A Blood Red Moon! - Homestay London
Pingback: Must Attend Writing Events for 2016 | Sacha Black
Well I am all but booked for the Fantasy Con by the sea in Scarborough. I am particularly looking forward to seeing Scott Lynch. It’s great that there are so many conventions taking place in the UK, we are really flying the flag, it’s just a shame there aren’t many up here in the North East. Joe Abercrombie is making his way up to Waterstone’s in Newcastle in April (27th) so I suppose that’s something.
PS I’ll be blogging the evening with him as well if anyone is interested 🙂
Fantasy Con in Scarborough – a 50/50 chance I’ll be there. The issue is the cost of the whole thing – day tickets, hotel, travel, food, beer… you can easily part with 500 quid. And writers really aren’t the richest of people. In fact, they are paid less in real terms now than they ever have been in history. I did a great panel debate at the Fantasy Con last year (on religions in fantasy), but not sure about this year. Oh well.
Hi, is it possible to add Flash Festival? It’s a new event in Broadstairs that will have author talks, art exhibitions, cosplay, gaming expo and more:)
Sure thing, Katrina!
Could you add Monster Comic Con? Doncaster Racecourse, October 7th and 8th 2017 (we have also secured dates for 2018 – October 6th and 7th 2018).
This is a broad ranging convention including all the elements of a comic con you may expect, plus a few extras. Our website is http://www.monstercomiccon.co.uk.
I am not sure what information you may require, but please contact me and I will provide any info you may wish.
Hi there. Great list!
Would you maybe add Glasgow Horror Festival? It’s a two day event taking place this November in Glasgow – with indie films, art/merch market, horror theater, industry panels etc.
Hiya, would you mind adding our new cosplay event to your list, we are raising money for the Children with Cancer UK Charity with a one day event in 2018.
Welcome to Burton upon Trent’s premier Cosplay, Geek and Asian Culture event.
Cosplay Culture is a great way to meet new friends into eastern and western culture, including anime, cosplay, Sci-fi, food and music.
82p of every £1 raised at Cosplay Culture goes towards Children with Cancer UK to help the fight.
Hi, could you attach JCon to this, Derby’s anime convention that’s 11 years old this year? Runs 24th & 25th August. http://Www.j-con.co.uk thanks!
Hello my Name is Michael Lopes and we run various events please could you add the following please:
Galaxy – A Sci-Fi Celebration, 22nd,23rd & 24th June 2018 – Jersey, Channel Islands UK: Live Shows (with Boogie Storm), Clasic Sci-Fi Movies on the big Screen, Exhibition Centre & Special Guests form original Star Wars movies (Tim Rose, Paul Blake, Femi Taylor & Richard Oldfield) Supporting a charity at each event – why not come to what people say is the sunniest place in Britain and have a good time at one of our unique events! http://www.prestigeeventsjersey.com & follow us on Facebook @prestigeeventsjersey
Please could you add our event? Thanks!
Covcon – Coventry Comic Con – Saturday 15th September – Back for a second year after a successful first show. TV/Film guests, comic artists, Live stage show and cosplay masquerade, displays, traders and new zones for 2018 – Comic, Gaming, Interactive and Cosplay! Find us at http://www.coventrycomiccon.uk. This year we are supporting the Big Cat Sanctuary charity.
Hi there. This is OzConUK.
2nd weekend in August. 10th-11th 2019.
Pingback: Autumn Dates For Your Diary – Fantasy Laboratory
Please post up Comic Con World 29/30 June 2019 http://www.comicconworld.co.uk
Sci fi weekender : https://www.scifiweekender.com/
In March and October 2019
And sfw in the city …
Could you please add BristolCon 2019 (October 26th) to your list. Website is http://www.bristolcon.org Thanks in anticipation
I have a new event
Leicester Horror Con 2019
Saturday 22nd June, 2019
Pingback: Best listing of sci-fi, fantasy, horror and comicbook conventions #fantasy #horror #ComicCon #scifi | Metaphysical Fantasy
Hello, I would like to add our Doctor Who event to your listing – Panopticon LITE :
Title of Event: Panopticon LITE – All About “8”- The Eighth Doctor And 20th Anniversary of Big Finish
Date: October 20, 2019
Location: Sofitel, London Heathrow
Theme: – An intimate one day event of 100 people celebrating Doctor Who & Big Finish
Guests: Paul McGann, Daphne Ashbrook, India Fisher and others TBA
Website: http://www.panopticonevents.com – Tickets are available on our website.
Thank you for listing our event. I can across your website and wanted to make sure we were included.
Pingback: Monster calendar of horror, fantasy, cosplay and science fiction conventions now updated! #cosplay #horror #fantasy #sciencefiction #sff | Metaphysical Fantasy
Pingback: 10 Must Attend Writing Events for 2016 - SACHA BLACK
Fantasy Forest – The UK Fantasy Event. July 16, 17 and 18 2021. An outdoor festival dedicated to anything related to fantasy. Sudeley Castle, Cheltenham.
Pingback: Universal list of conventions for science fiction, fantasy and horror coming out of lockdown! #sciencefiction #horror #fantasy | Metaphysical Fantasy
Pingback: The convention circuit is born anew! #sciencefiction #fantasy #horror #cosplay #conventions #comicbooks | Metaphysical Fantasy
Pingback: Fantasy, sci-fi and horror convention circuit now resurgent! | Metaphysical Fantasy
TF Nation is held every august in birmingham, it’s a Transformers convention
Pingback: Now updated – all the UK’s sci-fi, fantasy, horror and cosplay conventions during 2023! #fantasy #sci #horror #cosplay | Metaphysical Fantasy
The REME Museum is holding its second Sci Fi Day this year on 9 September https://www.rememuseum.org.uk/Event/sci-fi-day-23